The Food Safety and Quality Manager will provide leadership within the facility operations to successfully maintain an effective Food Safety and Quality culture. The position will have the responsibility and authority to lead the development and implementation of the Food Safety Plan, GFSI certification programs and play a key role in the communication of information related to the implementation and maintenance of the Food Safety Plan. This role will develop and maintain reporting systems for quality data, process controls and food safety compliance metrics for third-party audits, internal and external customer requirements.
Reporting to the Vice President of Quality Assurance & Compliance, this position will manage daily Quality Assurance job functions and play a key role in managing food safety systems and managing customer expectations.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
* Develops and ensures that implementation of food safety and monitoring policies and programs meet corporate and regulatory standards. Oversees and monitors food safety program implementation (i.e., HACCP, GMP, SQF, Pest Control, Customer Complaint, SSOP, hold and release and product disposition)
* Oversees the Master Document Control process for all Quality-related functions (customer specifications, raw material specifications, recipes, Allied and Co-Manufactured Goods specifications, etc.)
* Develops the programs for execution of all product-related testing and product holds pertaining to quality or food safety issues, final disposition determination and execution for the finished product.
* Ensures systems and programs are in place to ensure compliance to all Certifying Bodies and programs (Organic, Gluten-Free, RA, SQF, etc.)
* Provides direction for in-process and finished product testing, instrument calibration and environmental monitoring & testing
* Lead commercialization and CQV (commissioning, qualification, verification) process for new product initiatives
* Investigates, tracks, and provides responses for customer complaints and returns
* Develops and monitors standard operating procedures (SOPs) as they pertain to the QA function and product quality
* Updates reports on product quality, environmental results, and incident activities
* Directs and facilitates the annual training of employees in GMP, HACCP, Allergen, Food Security and other quality and food safety expectations/programs of the quality management system
* Ensures that the team conducts plant audits as scheduled and ensures follow up to identified issues
* Interacts with regulatory compliance agencies (i.e., USDA, NCDA, FDA, etc.)
* Prepares plant and leads efforts involving third-party Customer/Plant Audits
* Communicates and interacts effectively with all departments and management to ensure the smooth operation of the process
* Reviews processes and quality testing programs at least once a year to validate the effectiveness of the quality and food safety programs
* Establishes Continuous Improvement plan and annual goals for the Quality Assurance program to ensure product quality is met.
* Develops short-term & long-term strategic and operational goals for the department, managing execution and measuring results.
* Promotes innovation in the quality and food safety systems by thoroughly understanding both internal processes and customers' needs.
* Reports to the executive team on food safety and quality issues, trends, and losses.
* Establishes continuous improvement plan for the QA Department supporting company mission and vision to ensure food safety and world-class quality across all facilities and products.
* Develops tools to report on KPIs, trend analysis, and drive continuous process and quality improvements.
* Drives food safety and quality objectives by establishing and maintaining close team working relationships with Global Procurement, Operations, Product Development and Administration personnel.
* Performs other duties within the Quality Assurance department as may be assigned
* Travel: Up to 25% travel is anticipated with this role.
* Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Biology, Engineering, Chemistry or other relevant degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Full understanding of FDA FSMA regulations and GMP in a food manufacturing facility. Knowledge and experience with LACF regulations will be an added advantage
* Understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles, generating KPI's and establishing Statistical Process controls to improve manufacturing and quality data efficiency
* Experience in implementing food safety programs in a food manufacturing environment.
* Experience in managing regulatory audits
* Significant experience and knowledge with computer-based quality management and tracking systems, including Microsoft Office-based database systems
* Experience with developing statistically significant lab testing protocols to adhere to Good Lab practices and to improve QA protocols
* Ability to write/audit SOPs to ensure compliance with food safety requirements.
* Knowledge of a variety of food processing environments including Aseptic, Hot Fill, Thermal process, and emerging technologies is preferred
* Preventive Controls Qualified Individual Certification preferred
* SQF Certification
* Capability to work cross-functionally and in teams in a variety of fast-moving situations and markets -- responding quickly to information requests from internal and external customers
* Sensory/cupping experience within the beverage industry
* Ability to communicate effectively at all levels in the organization
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled