Serves as head maintenance technician for the community association. Closely monitors, identifies and communicates problems in every phase of general maintenance of the building(s), including areas of carpentry, electrical work, HVAC, plumbing, mechanic, painting, flooring, patching, general hardware, other minor building repairs and cleanliness. Makes recommendations, performs repairs, replacement maintenance and implements preventive maintenance as established by Company procedures and guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
• Regular attendance and punctuality
• Maintains a safe and secure environment throughout the building(s).
• Leads, trains and directs maintenance staff through work orders, as needed
• Plans, monitors, and appraises job results; coaches, counsels and disciplines employees.
• Assesses repair needs and estimated time needed for repair (including evaluating problems to determine whether or not professional assistance or further instruction is needed in order to complete task/repair).
• Maintains all mechanical systems, to include heat, cooling, and ventilation.
• Performs seasonal operations, such as servicing of HVAC systems, boilers, etc as indicated on the preventive maintenance program
• Maintains all electrical systems, to include lighting, office equipment, and general Association requirements
• Maintains all plumbing systems. Learns the location of all riser shut off valves and formulates a written log of the location of each. Responsible for all shut downs
• Policing of building and property for debris, changing of light fixtures and bulbs, vacuuming of hallways, cleaning of compactor rooms, completion of daily work orders for work performed on common areas and in individual apartments, if required, and general care and upkeep of building.
• Maintains all fire protection and security systems, to include required maintenance, inspections, and documentation.
• Inspects all emergency equipment to ensure compliance
• Maintains all pavements, to include sidewalks, curbs, driveways, and parking areas, including snow and ice control.
• Monitors the functions of service contractors and building repair and maintenance contractors.
• Inventories and acquisitions maintenance supplies.
• Maintains disaster preparedness by identifying potential problems, developing response plans, managing crises.
• Completes reports/work orders of repairs (work needed).
• On call availability for emergencies and projects as assigned by property manager.
• Schedules and assigns work responsibilities to employees to meet shift requirements.
• Requests materials, tools, and supplies needed for a job.
• Administrates preventive/reactive maintenance schedule.
• Records and evaluates preventive maintenance activities and programs.
• Oversees or participates in construction, installation, and preventative maintenance of equipment.
• Observes/evaluates corrective maintenance or repair on equipment.
• Ability to properly utilize new equipment and follow safety procedures prior to using this equipment.
• Record and report all unusual and irregular conditions to the Community Manager.
• Maintain cordial, professional manner in dealing with residents, contractors, Management, etc.
• All other duties as directed by the Board of Directors/Trustees or Management.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
• Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential Global Service Standards.
• Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
• Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
• May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
• Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
• Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
• Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
• This position does not require any supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience
• High school diploma or equivalency preferred. Technical background from university or vocational sources a plus.
• HVAC or other training or certification may be required
• Minimum 3 - 5years experience in building trades, repair and replacement maintenance or handy work
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Excellent organizational skills and project management
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced written communication skills.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
• Knowledge of basic accounting/budgeting procedures.
• Ability to work under pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to handle multiple tasks, and to coordinate the work of others.
• Ability to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats and in a timely manner
• Ability to conceptualize, plan and organize multiple programs and assignments effectively.
• Ability to work on complex and confidential tasks utilizing judgment, tact, and resourcefulness.
• Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
• Knowledge of electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and carpentry trades. Must be able to operate tools and equipment related to facility maintenance.
• Knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong customer service, communication and interpersonal skills required.
Tools & Equipment Used
Physical Requirements / Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Position involves sitting, standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, shoving, lifting, carrying and moving objects that can weigh up to 50 to 100 lbs. This movement can occur throughout the day. Must also be able to climb several flights of stairs if necessary.
• Position involves sitting, standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, shoving, lifting, carrying and moving objects that can weigh up to 25 lbs. This movement can occur throughout the day. Must also be able to climb several flights of stairs if necessary.
• Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to communicate both on the phone and in person with our clients in order to resolve issues and manage the business.
• Must have finger dexterity for typing/using a keyboard.
• Must be mobile enough to move around both the office in order to make copies, send mail and faxes and to walk around the property. This could include lengthy walks on uneven areas.
• Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors, and other associates.
• Capable of working extended hours, to include evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary.
• This position may alternate between working indoors in a controlled climate and with proper lighting, to an outdoors setting with variable climate and lighting.
• Must be able to interact with all types of individuals, be mentally alert, detail oriented, and with good reasoning skills.
• Must be able to work on more than one assignment at a time with frequent interruptions, changes and delays. Must be able to remain focused and work effectively, efficiently, and cheerfully under such circumstances. For safety reasons, employee must remain alert to working conditions and aware of safety, health, and environmental concerns.
• Must be able to work effectively and cheerfully in an environment which may be stressful due to adversarial situations resulting from the proper performance of duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings, holidays, and some weekends. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.